Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. CIVIC envisions a world in which no civilian is harmed in conflict. Our mission is to support communities affected by conflict in their quest for protection and strengthen the resolve and capacity of armed actors to prevent and respond to civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
About the Position
The operations manager ensures efficient office operations by strategically managing facilities, asset management, and supply orders of our soon-to-be opened office in The Hague (TH) to serve as a second central headquarters to the Washington DC location. The operations manager will also play a key role in supporting program effectiveness by being CIVICs key contact for in-country program start up and close out. S/he also manages CIVICs technology platforms, procurement processes within the Europe Hub and CIVIC’s registration in various European countries. The operations manager provides general operational support and will support the implementation of CIVIC’s strategic plan.
This position requires professionalism, strong communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think logically and follow a process through to completion with minimal supervision.
Europe Hub Set Up: Responsible for the opening of CIVICs new office in TH:
- Lead all aspects of registration in NL as well as bank account openings and other operational requirements to support the set up of this office
- Search and set up of office space, leading space design, coordination, delivery, and vendors for any necessary constructure, furniture, internet, security, etc.
- Support relocation of staff from US to TH, as necessary
- Collaborate with US Hub on relocation requirements
Office Management: Provides comprehensive day-to-day operational support in TH and responsible for streamlining administrative procedures, inventory control, and liaising with operations teams in the US
- Responsible for managing office services by ensuring office operations and procedures are organized, correspondences are controlled, filing systems are designed, and notices are posted.
- Manage physical office, assign desks/offices, maintains office equipment, and inventory
- Orient new staff and interns to the workings of the Europe office
- Assign office access to Europe-based staff and CIVIC visitors
- Manage relationships with vendors, building management, landlord as well as analyzes services to recommend improvements to contracts
- Point person for maintenance, mailing, shipping, equipment, bills and errands
- Partner with HR to maintain office policies, as necessary
- Order supplies and equipment for the Europe office
- Reconcile office expenses at the end of each month using the relevant financial platform
- Responsible for TH office budget tracking expenditures, providing reasons for variance and strategies to improve performance
- Maintain an updated asset list
- Guides and monitors compliance on implementation of operating procedures and policies and recommends opportunities to update policies/procedures
Project Support: Support field offices on operations related issues such as understanding organizational policies, processes and procedures.
- Develop close relationship with field teams, supporting efforts for effective program start up, implementation and close out
- Familiar with grant requirements to support necessary compliance procedures
- Work in collaboration with other Operations team members (Finance, Safety & Security, etc) to support quick start and necessary close out procedures.
Global Information Technology: Overall responsible for the IT platforms within CIVIC
- Manage CIVIC’s IT platforms, including access for employees, consultants, interns
- Conduct IT orientation for new staff
- Manage vendors, including IT support firm in the Hague (if available), internet, copier, phone, etc
- Act as focal point for IT support firm, including coordinating project rollout and elevating service requests
- Provide general IT guidance and support to field offices and liaise with field IT consultants to troubleshoot issues
- Support the implementation of the IT component of the strategic plan
European Office Registration
- Maintain CIVIC’s registration in the Netherlands and provide support to keep CIVIC’s registration current in Europe ((UK, Switzerland, Belgium, etc).
- Updating Europe registration folder in centralized system so that documents are available to all field teams.
- For European countries which require a stand-alone Board of Directors, organize meetings and draft meeting minutes.
- For CIVIC’s main Board of Directors, provide summaries and or data.
- Masters Arts/Science degree
- 5-8 years of relevant experience managing programs, office management, and/or operations field management
- Ability to travel to conflict areas and understand cultural differences in developing and implementing field offices
- Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and all cultures
- Good oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Experience with IT platforms, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.), Slack, Dropbox
CIVIC seeks to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool in the belief that employees from diverse backgrounds are critical to achieving our goals. We strongly encourage applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
This position will be located in The Hague, Netherlands, as CIVIC expands its presence in Europe.
COVID-19 Precaution(s): All interviews for this position will be virtual.
CIVIC is known to offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and, as we open our new office in The Hague, will ensure it is equitable with our overall organizational packages.
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early. CIVIC reserves the right to close the position opening before this deadline if the perfect candidate is found sooner.
CIVIC is not able to sponsor employees at this point in time, therefore, please ensure that you are able to legally work in this location when applying.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: CIVIC does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. CIVIC does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.